As an experienced business traveler, I’ve become somewhat of an expert in finding last minute airfare deals. Sometimes it’s a necessity as my schedule changes, sometimes it’s because I procrastinate and wait until the last minute to book travel.
In either case, when searching for airfare on short notice, you’re often looking at higher prices due to less availability. I’ve been able to find some good deals however, by following these 5 tips:
1. Use your miles
2. Look for package deals
3. Subscribe to fare alerts
4. Check two or three airports
5. Be flexible with days of travel
Using your frequent flier miles is the very first thing you should do when looking for last minute airfare deals. Airlines almost always have a limited number of seats available at special reduced mileage rates on any given flight, so you need to act quickly when you see such a deal. Often times these are only offered on their website but some airlines will also offer them via email or phone.
If you’re searching for cheap last minute airfare, here are a few tips to help you make a decision.
1. Be flexible with your dates. Search a range of dates, as well as looking at both the day before and after. This can save you a great deal of money.
2. Be flexible with your airports. Most cities have at least two airports. It’s usually cheaper to fly into (and out of) the smaller one that is further away from the city center. If you don’t mind the longer travel time, this can be a good way to save money on cheap last minute airfare deals.
3. Look for better priced packages that include car rental and hotel accommodations in addition to your flight as last minute airfare deals can be cheaper when purchased together as part of a package than if bought separately as individual components e.g., airfare & car rental or airfare & hotel accommodation etc…
4. Last minute airfare deals are often found online through sites like Travelocity, Orbitz and Expedia who allow travelers to compare flights from multiple airlines to find the best last minute airfares and then purchase their tickets online without having to speak directly with an agent or airline representative or visit an airline ticket office in person or
Whether you’re booking a domestic or international flight, we have your best tips to get cheap airfare and save money.
1. Book 45 days prior to departure for international travel.
2. Be flexible with your travel dates. The cheapest airfare is often found 3 weeks before your departure date.
3. For last minute travel, look for deals on nonstop flights. These are less likely to drop in price because there are fewer seats available on these flights.
4. Consider flying mid-week if your schedule allows it.
5. Try flying out of an alternative airport if possible. This can sometimes save you hundreds of dollars on airfare.
We all love to travel. Whether you take a trip once a year or once a month, chances are you’ve been plagued by the same problem: how do you find a great flight deal?
If you’re a last-minute traveler, then your options are limited, but it is still possible to get a great deal on airfare if you know what to look for. Here are some tips that can help.
1. Look at Alternative Airports
Sometimes it’s worth it to drive an extra hour or two if it means saving hundreds of dollars on your next flight. For example, the price difference between flying out of Boston and Providence can be significant, especially during the holidays. If there is an airport close by that offers direct flights to your destination, then you may want to consider flying out of that airport instead.
2. Consider Alternate Days/Dates
It’s no secret that flying mid-week is cheaper than flying on the weekend, but did you also know that changing your return date by just one day could save you hundreds? To find out which dates offer the best deals, use Google’s ITA Matrix Software (as explained here).
3. Be Flexible with Your Flight Times
1) It’s possible to get cheap last-minute tickets. You just have to be open! Don’t only look for flights from your local airport.
2) If you have a flexible schedule, you can get great deals on last-minute flights.
3) If you don’t have a flexible schedule, try calling the airline directly. They will help you find the cheapest flight for your dates.
4) Lookup airfare predictions to see whether or not airfare prices are expected to rise or fall in price in the future.
5) Don’t forget to check individual airline websites for their best deals!
Airfare can certainly be pricey, but if you plan and book in advance, you can save a lot of money. If you don’t have the luxury of time to book your ticket with one or two months in advance, you might be thinking that you’re going to have to pay through the nose for your last minute flight.
However, there are a number of tips and tricks that can help you save on airfare, even if you need to fly out tomorrow! Here’s what you need to know:
1. Join an Airfare Club
2. Be Flexible with your Travel Dates
3. Be Flexible with your Travel Destination
4. Use Google Flight Search to Compare Airfares
5. Buy Directly from the Airline