This blog is written by Melbourne local, Ben. He will be sharing his personal insight and tips on how to get around the city of Melbourne. It’s divided into four sections:
1. 17 Little-Known Facts About Melbourne – A list of random facts about Melbourne.
2. Hidden Gems To Explore In Melbourne – A list of hidden gems in the city that are worth checking out. The places are not listed from most popular to least popular. I’ll be listing them randomly so that you can have a chance to explore at your own leisure.
3. Time-Saving Tips For Touring The City Of Melbourne – Tips on how you can save time when touring around the city of Melbourne.
4. What To Look Out For When You’re In The City Of Melbourne – Things that you need to look out for when visiting this city for the first time such as scams and other dangers that you need to be aware of beforehand so that it will not ruin your holiday.
Melbourne is one of those cities you could spend years exploring and never get bored.
With so many hidden gems and little known facts about Melbourne, I wanted to put together a blog for tourists to give them an insight into some of the best places to visit and things to do in this diverse city. Whether you are visiting for a day or a week, or even a month or longer, you will find plenty of activities and tourist attractions to fill your time.
Below is my list of 17 little-known facts, hidden gems and time-saving tips that will help you see the city like a local.**
Melbourne is a beautiful and vibrant city. It’s home to 4 million people and has a lot to offer.
But how well do you know it?
Do you know all the best places to visit and hidden gems that only locals know about?
So we thought we’d write a blog post about all the little things that make Melbourne such a great place to live and explore.
So, without further ado, here are 17 facts about Melbourne, some hidden gems and tips for exploring the city.
Melbourne’s name was inspired by the British Prime Minister of the time William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne. It was named in 1837 when its settlement was founded by John Batman. However, in 1851 at the height of the Victorian Goldrush, Melbourne was briefly renamed ‘Batmania’.
The most common tree throughout Melbourne is the Golden Wattle (Acacia pycnantha) which is Australia’s floral emblem. The tree blooms early in spring with bright yellow flowers. There are over 800 species of Acacia found across Australia – so many that Australia is often referred to as ‘the land of Wattle’.
Melbourne is a city of hidden gems and secret spots. It has a rich history, bustling laneways and amazing food. But it can be hard to find the gems if you don’t know where to look.
The Flight Scanner blog has researched the best kept secrets of Melbourne and found 17 little-known facts that are sure to surprise even the most seasoned Melbournian. This blog also takes you on a tour through Melbourne’s most popular attractions and lesser known hidden gems.
From top tips on how to get around Melbourne to what there is to see in Federation Square, this post has got all your Melbourne advice covered in one spot! Make sure you read this before you visit!
Melbourne is the state capital of Victoria and is regarded as Australia’s cultural capital. It has a population of approximately 4 million people, and is a well-loved city by locals and tourists alike. It has a thriving art scene and a calendar full of events featuring music, sport, film, festivals and more to discover.
Melbourne was born in 1835 when pioneering settlers built their homes on the banks of the Yarra River. This rich history can still be seen today through visible signs of development along the river’s edge at Birrarung Marr and Southbank.
Some say it’s just not possible to get bored in Melbourne because there are so many things to do! You could spend months exploring this beautiful city and you’d still find new things to see and places to take your family or friends on each visit.
The best way to discover Melbourne’s hidden gems is by foot or bike as there is always something new to see around every corner. But with so much going on it can also be hard to know where to start.
Melbourne holds the title of being Australia’s most liveable city, no doubt and it is not hard to see why. Melbourne offers a vibrant culture combined with great food, rich history, amazing cafes and boutiques, fun nightlife and beautiful beaches and parks. All of this makes for a perfect holiday destination in Australia.
While I have been to Melbourne a few times before and know quite a lot about the city, I still managed to learn new things on my recent trip there. So, I thought I would share some of the tips that I picked up along the way as well as some interesting facts that you may not know about.
1. Uber operates in Melbourne but it is not allowed to pick up from the airport. Instead, you can use a service called Skybus which will take you from the airport into the CBD for just $18 per person one-way or $35 return. From there, you can easily get an Uber into your accommodation or wherever else you need to go.